Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Weigh-In Wednesday is Back!

                           

I know, I know.... I said I wasn't going to do this.

But, you all should know me well enough by now to know that I change my mind more often than some people change their underwear.

What can I say?

I live life one day to the next...and some days I just decide to recant everything I've ever said.

I figured that because I'm now taking the weight loss meds, I'd want to keep an eye on my progress.  It's probably going to be one of my biggest motivators.  I know that even if I decided to carry on doing "official" weigh-ins monthly... my butt would still be on the scale at least once a week seeing how I'm doing.

So, why not just go back to weighing in weekly?

Because it's been a while since I've updated my weight, I'll do a little backstory.

I started the summer off weighing 260lbs.  I then gained 5lbs over the course of the first month of the summer.  So, I was up to 265lbs.  That's when I started getting some great advice from a homeopathic nutritionist and decided to start all over.  I reset my weight counter to reflect the 265lbs and started following her advice.  I then dropped 5lbs in the next month and went back down to 260lbs.

Thursday of last week, I went for my doctor's appointment and weighed 262.5lbs.  That was at 2pm in the afternoon... so I figured I was probably still around the 260lbs mark if I took in to consideration what I'd eaten that day, and normal body fluctuations.  That's when she prescribed the medicine.  I didn't, however, start taking it until Saturday because I had to have a medical procedure done on Friday that would have to be put off had I started the meds then.

This morning, I stood on the scale.  

I weigh 257.8lbs.

That's a loss of almost 5lbs in 5 days (if I go by the doctor's weigh-in)!! 

Or, a loss of 2.2lbs from my previous 260lbs number.

Still a good loss for such a short time, right?

I haven't seen numbers in the 250s for a long time.  And it feels good knowing that I'm really buckling down and starting to see some quick progress.

Yesterday, I encountered my first situation of eating out.  After a meeting I attended at school, my team voted on eating at a small diner for lunch.  I had packed a lunch, but being that I was going to be at the school until 8PM because of our open house - I figured I could just eat my packed lunch for dinner.

I sat and stared at the menu for a long time.  It was a diner.  Burgers, burgers, and more burgers.  Or fried whatever.  My first instinct was to check the salad options... slim pickings.  They had a chef salad that was "loaded" with ham, turkey, and boiled egg.  They had a taco salad that came in a fried bowl and "loaded" with taco meat.

And, sure, I could have asked for stuff to be removed.. but I wasn't really in the mood to eat a plate full of iceberg lettuce and diced tomato.  Which was the extent of the "salad" minus any of the bad stuff.

The rest of the menu consisted of mostly 1/3lbs burgers loaded with all kinds of stuff:  Bacon, fried onions, onion rings, fried mushrooms, and so on.  But, I managed to find a tiny piece of the menu dedicated to "regular burgers".  I went with a basic cheeseburger and small fries.  

Total calories were (based on estimates) 800 calories.  OUCH!!

The fries were only a small portion (about the size of McDonald's small fry).  I went with higher estimates on MyFitnessPal - but I'm sure I wasn't that far off.

Thankfully, my breakfast only consisted of 160 calories and my lunch (that I ate for dinner) was only 300 calories.  So, I was still in my calorie range by the end of the day.  And at the lower end.

I definitely could have eaten something a little more healthy for lunch, but it was nice knowing that if I prepared and planned a little... I could still have something like a burger and fries and still not sabotage my eating for the day.

Later in the afternoon, I had cucumber slices with 2 tbsp of hummus.  I didn't eat all of the hummus.  I did eat all of the cucumber slices.  When I got home, I ate the sandwich that I had originally made for lunch.  I ate it a little later than I'd like, but I was too busy with work to stop and think about eating it at my normal dinner time.

Overall, I feel fantastic.

The pills aren't causing any crazy side effects.  I'm not cranky or jittery or shaky.  I still have urges to eat, but I'm able to ward them off and focus on something else.  I keep reminding myself that I'm going to really do it this time...and regardless of whether the pill is doing what it's supposed to do, I have to think about what life will be like without it.  In fact, I'm kinda convincing myself that the pill really isn't doing anything - I'm doing it on my own.  I think this mentality will help once it's time to come off of it.

I'm fighting the urge to eat.  I'm keeping my calories in check.  Not the pill.

I'm drinking water by the gallons and sweating gallons in the process.  I think those two aspects are from the pill.  I have dry mouth, and I have to barely move to start sweating like a geyser.  But, I feel like both are positive side effects.  One is making me get the water my body needs, the other is getting rid of the water I don't need.  Win.  Win.

OK, it's time for me to think about getting ready for work.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!  

Till next time!


 photo signature.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy... Let me hear what's on your mind...