Sunday, July 28, 2013

I'm Sorry...Will You Repeat That Temperature Again?

Talking about the weather is probably one of the most boring topics to discuss.  It's a topic you go to when you have absolutely nothing else to talk about... and you're breaking an awkward silence.

"So, what do you think of the weather we're having?"

Which, can be a loaded question if you decide to break the silence with a complete stranger or someone that takes the weather WAY too seriously.

"What do I think?  I think it's hot, and miserable.... and I sweat in places that shouldn't sweat.  I just want to strip my clothes off and walk around naked, but even then I'll still sweat and stick to the furniture in my house and get my sweat funk on everything."

Urm... TMI?

And I kid you not, those actual words (more or less) were said to me when asking a complete stranger about the weather while I was waiting in line to go in somewhere.  Who tells complete strangers that stuff?

Anywho...that's neither here nor there about what I'm going to talk about this morning.

Everyone can attest that it's Sunday, July 28th..yes?  

At this time it is 10:39AM.

I woke up this morning around 10AM, grabbed my coffee, and walked out on to my patio....and felt a chill.

The temperature right now is 67 degrees Fahrenheit.

SIXTY-SEVEN.

A number that doesn't usually exist in July in Arkansas... let alone at the end of the July approaching mid-day.

The high for today is only 82... and it's not supposed to get near that until much later this afternoon.

Which means, I didn't have to worry about getting out of bed too late this morning to go on my walk.  I can pretty much go anytime I want... because it's not going to get hot enough all day to even worry about it.

This has probably been one of the most mild summers I've ever been through in my life.  There has been a couple of weeks where I agreed with old sweaty butt about how hot it's been... but I'm pretty sure this entire summer, the temps haven't made it in to the three digits.  High 90s?  Sure.... but still not as many times as usual.  I just looked at the 10 day forecast...and three out of those ten days, the temps go in to the 90s.  Barely.  The rest is mid to high 80s.

We've had quite a bit of rain. The grass in my front and back yards is still green... rather than the dead brown it should be by this time of year.  I still have flowers blooming on some of my plants.  My surroundings are more conducive to late spring than late summer.

Of course, we did get snow in May for the first time EVER.  So, I suppose that was a precursor to what  was in store.  And if this is global warming?  I'm OK with it.

It's been hot enough to swim.  It's been cool enough to walk (minus the past two weeks).  But, if two weeks out of an entire summer is all I have to deal with... WOO HOO FOR ME!

I'll admit that I'm pretty lazy in the summer.  I don't like to set an alarm, and I want to roll my big behind out of bed whenever the heck I feel like it.  Maybe it's 8am, maybe it's 10am.  When I get up, I like to write my blog and drink my coffee before I even think about what I'm going to do in terms of exercise or daily plans.

And having that routine during the summer usually equates to no form of outdoor exercise, other than the pool... unless I decide to go walk right before dark. 

I'm really hoping that this mild summer is going to lead in to a harsh winter.  Call me crazy, but we've had such mild winters the past two years... I'm ready for a good snow.  Now that I live in town, of course.  

And while we're at calling me crazy... I wonder if Mother Nature is testing me.  Summer brings about my most favorite go-to excuse about not getting out to exercise... and now she's throwing that back in my face and saying "What now?"

I don't remember a single summer of my weight loss trying adult life where I could sit at the end of July and feel not just comfortable, but cool.  Sitting outside and enjoying the refreshing breeze... there's no such thing as a refreshing breeze in July.  It usually feels like someone turned on the heat outside and adjusted the thermostat up full blast.  

Which now I'm sitting here wondering what on earth I'm doing sitting here... when I should be in my walking clothes and sneakers pounding pavement.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Thanks, Weather!! Please stick around...I could really get used to this!

Till next time!

Joanna
a/k/a Mad, Fat Woman



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy... Let me hear what's on your mind...