Saturday, June 15, 2013

So. Hot. Must. Find. Water!



OK, so we're not even officially in to summer just yet, and I'm already going to start complaining about the weather.  Or, really, the heat.  Which is funny, because just a few weeks ago on my other blog, I was complaining that the temps were barely making it in to the 70's which wasn't right for May.

But, I'm not one of those people.  Not usually.

The kind that complains all winter about the cold and then complains all summer about the heat.  I'm only the latter version.  I will complain all summer about the heat...but you won't hear me complain (much) about the cold in the winter.  Because I'm a winter gal.

Although, that may change slightly, now that we have a huge pool in our back yard.

But this past week has been torture.  Temps in the 90's, beautiful cool pool in the back yard, and I've only been able to sit and watch as my children frolic and play in the refreshing water.

Why?

Because I'm being tormented by Aunt Flo...and the hag won't allow me to swim.

Yes, I know, there are certain things I can use so that I can swim, and all that.  But, I don't.  Can't, really.  It's personal, and I already feel like I've said too much... just know that when Aunt Flo is in town, I'm restricted to the sidelines to just watch the fun happening.

Thankfully, she should be packing her bags today...better be, anyway.

I've never wanted to jump in to a pool and swim and swim and swim some more so much before.  And no, not just lounge in the pool, actually get in it and work-out.  Run in the pool (which if freakin' hard!), swim in the pool, do lunges and jumps, and all kinds of fun, cool exercises.

Of course, most people want what they can't have.

The past couple of days teaching summer school have been EX-HAUS-TING.  I come home feeling every ounce of energy drained out me.  I wake up in the morning feeling like my legs could snap off at any moment.  And why?  Because I've done a little more physical activity which I'm used to...and by that I mean I've walked up and down the hallways several times in a day, and I've been on my feet all day.  Not anything major like actually working out.

Actually, the annoyance to the pain has been so bad, that I decided that I'd get up nice and early this morning and go for a brisk walk.  You know, while it was still cool enough to do so.  So, I'd actually get in some good exercise this morning and work out the kink in my legs.  But, wouldn't you know, I didn't wake up until after 9am and within two minutes of stepping outside, I was melting sweating.  One look at the pool made me realize, I'll just hold off until later and do the equivalent of a walk in the pool.

I know, the weather is a poor excuse for not getting out there.  Shame on me.  But, honestly, I just knew that if I did go out for the walk....it would totally drain me.  I have other plans for the day, that do involve some activity.  I know my limits, and unfortunately there isn't much depth to them.   That doesn't mean I won't get there, though.

My good friend, Cathy, left a comment yesterday about how amazing it was how quickly we lose the ability to perform certain things when we don't do them for a while.  Point was about exercise.  Which is so true... it really does suck how quickly you can go from running to barely able to walk very far.  Especially after how long it takes to go from walking to running in the first place.

It sure would be nice that if it took 3 months to walk to jog for a while, then it took 3 months to revert backwards.  If it took 1 year to run a mile, it took 1 year to not be able to run a mile.  And so on.  But, that's not the case at all.  You don't run for a month?  Don't expect to run very far when you start running again.  Just imagine if you haven't run in over a year!  I'm back at my original starting point... the point where a 15 minute walk took it's toll on me.

Anywho, back to the comment.  It's funny she said what she did, because it's the point I've been trying to pass on to my students this week....regardless of the hypocritical stance that played out this morning.

Many of them have complained about how it's too hot to go outside.  It's too hot to do anything but sit in the AC.  They don't want to play outside, they don't want to throw a frisbee around, and they certainly don't want to do anything that would work up a sweat.

Then, I let these words slip out of my mouth...

"Two years ago, I could run 3 miles non-stop as if were something like tying my shoe.  Then, I decided it was too hot to run, I was too tired to exercise, I couldn't be bothered.   Now, look at me.  Walking down the hallway breaks me in to a sweat and turns my breathing hard.  Do you want to end up like me?"

I kid you not, but after that little spill, there was genuine fear in some of their eyes.

Many of my students are athletes... basketball players, football players, track participants, dancers etc.  Those were the kids that jumped to their feet and started doing everything I asked them to do... no more whining.

Of course, unfortunately, there were several kids that it didn't phase them a bit.  And the sad reason for that?  They don't really do any physical activity...they're kinda already like me.  These were the kids that needed a little different motivation.  They weren't athletes, they didn't do any physical activity, they were under the impression that they had nothing to lose, cause they didn't have anything built up to lose.

That's a painful revelation.

That there are kids that don't do any form of physical activity, and are already in the mindset that they are perfectly OK with that... that maybe they're destined to be overweight and unfit for the rest of their lives.

So, a different kind of spill?

"I forgot to mention that up until two years ago, I looked the way I look now.  I had been that way my whole life.  I was teased as a kid, couldn't and wouldn't do sports, and then when I had kids of my own, I couldn't play with them because I was too heavy.  So, I decided to change.  I lost a lot of weight.  Just by doing simple things and changing the way I ate.  That's why I was able to work up to running... I couldn't do it on day one, but I did it after a while.  But, because I just gave up one day... I ended up right back where I started.  It's so hard to lose weight, but it can be done.  It's so hard to learn to run, but it can be done.  And it's so much easier to do when you're still young."

Didn't really have the impact that I expected it to... but it got me really thinking.

Maybe these kids have heard it all before... maybe these kids just don't care about what they're told.  It's so easy to hear people preach about losing weight... but who actually does it?

Even me sitting there rambling on about how I used to weigh a lot less, but then gained it all back.  What kind of role model is that?

It made me realize that losing this weight, again, and sticking with it this time is so much more important than what I originally intended it to be.

Several years ago, I made the decision to try and lose weight so that I could be a healthy teacher, and a good role model to my students.  I failed.  I ended up a fat teacher who was a hypocrite, because I preach healthy eating and exercise...and I'm 260lbs.

What if, I can still become a good role model to my students?  The students that need my help the most.  The students who are just like me.  They need a little shove in the right direction or need something that they can actually see rather than hear.  Maybe I could be that person?  Maybe I could transform in front of their eyes, showing them that it can be done...with a little hard work and dedication.

I don't know.

But, I will say that what I saw in the eyes of some of those kids yesterday is frightening.  I don't want kids being OK that they are overweight and sedentary.  It's not right.  All kids should be able to run around a playground carefree...not hiding out in a shady spot because they are sweating so bad from just being outside, never mind actually doing something that works up a sweat.

Is there something I can do to help them?  Even if it just means taking my own advice and not be a hypocrite?

And I guess that's all I'm going to say about that today....I've got some serious thinking to do about myself...

Till next time!

 photo signature.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Very powerful "spills." Honestly, I think you're back on the right road ... this means a lot to you.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy... Let me hear what's on your mind...