Friday, June 14, 2013

Holy Leg Pain and Fatigue, Batman!

OK, so for the past three weeks, I've been off work.  In that time, the amount of exercise I've done has consisted of getting out of bed, walking to the patio, unpacking a few boxes, doing a few loads of laundry, sweeping a few times, stacking a dishwasher, going grocery shopping a couple of times, taking two day trips, swimming a few laps in a pool, and then walking from the living room to my bed.  

And that's not all in one day.  

Throw in sitting and relaxing on the patio or the couch in between each of those activities...and stretch them all out over a three week time period.  That's how active I've been since walking out of school on the last day.

This morning, however, I feel like I've run a 5K.  A 5K after not doing any running for 2 years, and with not warming up or stretching beforehand.  

Did I run a 5K?  Absolutely not.  

In fact, the only thing I did yesterday was stay on my feet ALL DAY LONG...and walk up and down a few small hills several times.  That's it.  The only reason I broke a sweat was because it was 90 degrees outside, and I spent the entire afternoon outside.

However, when I got home, it took everything to keep my eyes open.  I was drained of every ounce of energy.  I ended up in bed by 8pm and when I woke up this morning, my legs are killing me!  As in, the feeling I described like I'd been running.  

It blows my mind that after being off work for 3 weeks, and then going back for one day I can be so tired and exhausted...and in pain!

I'm teaching summer school right now, and for 12 days I will teach science in the morning and frisbee golf in the afternoon.  Yep, frisbee golf.  It's a fun, summery thing to do...and I think it's a great subject to get to teach during summer school.  Except that I'll be outside ALL afternoon in temps hovering right under the 100 degree mark.  I'll rotate classes every 30 minutes, so they won't be exposed to a dangerous amount of sunlight.. but me?  Well, there's shade, I guess.

Actually, I'm very excited to be teaching a sport for summer school.  What I didn't expect was how tired I'd feel after one day of being back.

The tiredness angers and excites me.

It angers me because it goes to show how being sedentary for three weeks...let alone two years...can have such an affect on unused muscles.  To think, two years ago, I was running 5Ks and feeling the rush and adrenaline that it brought.  Three weeks ago, I was on my feet for most of the day every day and didn't think a thing of it.

But, just 3 measly weeks of being off work?  I can't even stand on my feet for more than a few hours without feeling like I've done way more than I've done.

It's pathetic.

But, it also excites me.  I have the opportunity to teach a sport for the next two weeks.  As in, I kinda get to be a coach.  OK, frisbee golf isn't the most active sport in the world... but it does require quite a bit of walking and throwing.  Better than nothing, right?  Especially when it's 90+ degrees outside, and I can't very well have kids running around in that type of heat.  And what an easy way to ease myself in to getting some exercise.

I had no idea that I'd be teaching what I'm teaching at summer school.  I was thrown in to it yesterday, so I wasn't exactly dressed for it.  Today, I'm going to dust off my tennis shoes, put on some shorts and a t-shirt, and get out there and get to it.  

Another thing I'm also preparing for is staying hydrated.  I know that some of my fatigue, and possibly my muscle pains this morning is because I didn't drink enough water yesterday.  That's not happening today.  I've got my water bottle ready to go...and I plan on draining it several times.

It's a small start.  A very small start.  But, more than I have been doing.  It will at least help me get used to being out in the heat, again, and working some muscles that haven't gotten any form of work in way too long.

Right now, I have to hobble in and get ready.  Another day awaits.  And, I'm actually looking forward to it.

Till next time!

Joanna
a/k/a Mad, Fat, Woman

2 comments:

  1. It's frustrating how quickly we lose the gains we've made! It's just so hard to get to the point where you're addicted to exercise -- a positive addiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. I don't know how many times I've told my students this week "A few years ago, I was running...miles... you get lazy, you turn in to me now!" LOL

      They get a little fear in their eyes when I say that, and then they work harder. It's not a very nice way to talk about myself, I suppose. But, I also want to show them that with a little hard work, major obstacles can be overcome. I want to show them that I'm willing to work hard to get back in shape, just so that I can stay with them and do what they're doing when I'm telling them to do it. HA!

      Delete

Don't be shy... Let me hear what's on your mind...